Govt extends Kwekwe lockdown by two weeks

By Tafadzwa Chigandiwa

In an effort to curb the spread of the deadly Covid-19 Indian variant B.1.617 detected in Kwekwe last month, government has extended the city’s lockdown by another two weeks.

Prior, the Ministry of Health and Child Care imposed a two week lockdown in the Midlands city on the 24th of May 2021.

Addressing the media in a cabinet briefing, Tuesday, Information Minister, Monica Mutsvangwa confirmed the extension of the lockdown.

“The nation is informed that Cabinet has approved that the lockdown in Kwekwe be extended by a further two week,” she said.

Mutsvangwa said Kwekwe had experienced more positive cases which include 27 cases recorded at Mary Ward Children’s Home.

“The development comes in the wake of a surge in positive cases in Kwekwe, which to date has 74 cumulative cases, 70 active cases, 3 recoveries and 1 death. It is highlighted that the Indian Variant has been detected in some of the new cases,” she added.

Embakwe High School in Mangwe District, Matebeleland South Province recorded 4 teachers who tested positive of the novel coronavirus, out of the 25 members that were tested, while 400 students from that school tested negative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *