By Own Correspondent
Four minors belonging to the same family from Buhera were burnt to death Monday after a hut they were sleeping in caught fire causing the roof to collapse.
Manicaland provincial police spokesperson, Inspector Luxson Chananda confirmed the tragic incident that happened in Machaka village under Chief Nerutanga in Buhera.
Chanada said the incident happened around 9 pm adding that investigations were already underway. He identified the deceased as follows:
- Tanyaradzwa Macheka (6),
- Takudzwa Machaka (6), (Tanyaradzwa and Takudzwa were twins.)
- Tinotenda Machaka (3) and
- Rumbidzai Chikoho (13).
The police said on April 12 around 7 pm, the deceased minors’ mother Melody Zimondi (31) retired to bed in the kitchen hut with her children after having supper.
Zimondi woke up around 9 pm as she was being choked by smoke and discovered that the house was on fire. It is reported that they did not have a lamp or candle in their room when they went to sleep.
Tino and Rumbi sustained serious injuries and were rushed to Murambinda hospital where they were pronounced dead on arrival while Takudzwa and Tanyaradzwa were burnt to death. Said the police spokesperson:
She got out of the house and cried for help. Paul Machaka, aged 58, rushed to the scene and managed to rescue Tinotenda and Rumbi before the roof collapsed.
The matter was reported to the police who attended the scene.