By Staff Reporter
A 13-year-old boy from Nkululeko in Silobela, Midlands was electrocuted when he leaned against a ZESA powerline pole inside Nkululeko High Schoolyard.
Midlands provincial spokesperson, Inspector Emmanuel Mahoko confirmed the tragic incident which occurred on Tuesday afternoon.
Mahoko said the boy, Luckmore Ngwenya, was herding cattle in the schoolyard together with his 17-year-old brother when the tragedy struck. Mahoko said:
The scene has since been attended by the police and the body was taken to Gweru Provincial Hospital awating postmortem. Officials from the ZETDC also attended to the scene and investigations are still underway.
The incident comes after another boy, Collen Chinyemba, 15, who was doing Form 3 at Nkululeko High was last year electrocuted while doing laundry in a tub at the school hostel.
Then an 11 year old boy was last year September electrocuted in a Bushy area near Nguboyenja flyover Bulawayo as he was searching for some wild fruits with his friends.
In the same month,a woman tragically lost her life after she was electrocuted as she was relieving herself in a ZESA substation in Bulawayo
Then another 15 year old girl from Nkulumani Bulawayo was found unconscious in their family residence’s bathroom in a suspected case of electrocution in February last year.
These cases have been on the rise recently and authorities blame faulty lines.
More: The Herald